Thursday, December 23, 2010

I don’t know when I last undertook a local train journey in Mumbai.  I guess there was this one time when I had to go to a bank in Masjid some 4 years ago and before that in 1999.

We tend to be critical for no reason and I started believing local trains are not for me anymore. Well, one thing for sure, nobody cares from railways...
Local Trains of Mumbai carry some few millions everyday from places as far as Virar, CBD Belapur, Kalyan and Badlapur. I am insignificant and I really am no one to say anything about service/standard and my likes and dislikes about railways. Business guys, executives, staff and students travel at a cost which perhaps is the lowest in the world and they reach on time.

 What I experienced was fantastic. Platforms are clean, Train bogey or wagons are mighty impressive and punctual to the nearest minute. I travelled Dadar/Vasai/Dadar which I believe should be 140 km. I spent Rs. 220/=.  When I embarked on my journey, I had an outlook as if I am doing a favour to Railways by travelling. When I reached home, I was humbled by sheer experience and in my mind did a small calculation and realized that I have saved close to Rs. 600/= and not to mention no risk and no stress of driving.

 Few stray of thoughts as I was looking around with sheer admiration with the progress, all over.
1)      Builder make mega mega bucks: provide residential accommodation in extended Mumbai  towns, very conveniently assuring “ just 5 or 10 minutes from station”.... what does the railways get, more passengers and more strain on capacity... using railway’s goodwill for their business!!!
 2)      Most abused phrase is ‘there are scope for improvements in service’ they have to do this... and that.. What about scope of improvements amongst people... they continue to place their legs on empty seat in the front, spit and stain the corners of platform which is cleaned twice a day.
3)      I shudder to think of the statistics and logistics of number of train, number of passengers, technical trouble shooting, rail roko etc. We all work somewhere, run a department or execute some functions... I can only say this, Hats off to operational and support staff of Indian Railways
4)      A fellow passenger was complete with latest mobile and MAC laptop and was working with total dedication.  I thought I was stupid to  drive 140 km and listen to some atrocious music in FM

 As to whether I did have vada pav in Dadar Station, NO.... Vada might be of same quality as before, but cautious part in me in me prevailed. I guess I will overcome this too, in next 2/ 3 journeys.   I saw  a guy with a bag pack about 22 years old, hogging vada pav and holding Energy drink in another hand.  I just couldn't stop envying him. Somehow, I could just script what he will do in the evening, weekend and his rigorous thinking on how to achieve his career objectives........I just saw myself in him

1 comment:

ram9 said...

Quite a good post. I have been out of mumbai now for a good ten years. Having never travelled in trains in my subsequent transfers be it Pune, Ahmedabad, Kannur and now Tuticorin I have to say I miss the train journey a lot.