Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Weekend Junkie

Yes, I am a weekend junkie. I look forward to the weekend from Wednesday onwards. It takes two days or so to get over it, I put in an honest day’s work and then start my plan for the coming weekend. 

The last weekend was a change of a sort. I went with a business associate with his family and friends. Total strangers to me and it took a while and the years of experience helped me with small talks to get over the awkward silence.
Their respective wives were not very helpful but were laughing in chorus for every attempt at humour from their life partner.

It was a beach resort. My first impression was it should have been a last resort. But then I started looking at the place from the villager’s point of view and not from a brown sahib pair of glasses.

The topic of fish, crab and other coastal delicacies stops only when it was served to my fellow travellers. The detailed discussion and analysis of the fish can only the compared with the spiel of Italians for coffee or wine. It does not matter, even if you were to order the same stuff from the same joint every time.

It is nice to see our countrymen getting involved in water sports. You get to ride a jet ski as a pillion rider!! Very brave indeed much to the lovely patronising smile of appreciation from the spouse.  I did ask whether I can ride on my own. It was a straight NO. Their grouse was that quite a few adventurers did not bother to come back. It still is a mystery whether it was jetjacked or the rider lost his turn in the deep ocean.

Quite a few took to para sailing. It is nice to see the expression of valour and satisfaction, when you see a typical pot bellied government clerk as he walks to his group after a sky ride. In Goa, you see much younger crowd but here in MS side of the beach front, I somehow felt, our  octroi agents and Mantralaya employees were more in numbers. 
Coming back to food, the quality of food when you travel is always compared to the previous outing. Of course, the last visit remains a memorable one till you travel next to talk about this one. 

I never can understand why this racial bias against black sand and also why Maharashtra/Konkan belt needs to be compared with Goa. They will remain a poor cousin to their more illustrious neighbours, even if the food is equally bad. The Goa booze tastes much better for they are devoid of tax or excise or perhaps both. But as my wise friends tells me you burn more petrol to reach there and hotel tariffs are dearer.
It is more homely here compared to Goa.. You are given the towel which is also used by the owner of the resort. By the way, they live here and eat the same food. Ghar ka khana and ghar ka towel. It can well be used as a tag line. 

Web site of these resorts are very innovative… the distance to the beach is always ‘walkable’. Food is always authentic, 24 hours water should not be mistaken for your bathroom. Well,they are referring to the SEA. 




1 comment:

Kumar said...

Humor thrives in pain! Was fun reading.