Saturday, May 23, 2009

Cricket and IPL

I have been quite regular watching IPL matches which starts at 4 pm in office and the second one which is at 8 pm. A lot happened in or did not happened in last 40 odd days which has helped Mr. Mody big time to make it a success?

when there is no call for business, no meetings of any significance, this match at 4 pm did help. when people were around in the office, all I had to do with go to rediff and kept clicking on refresh button for the latest score. Before I know, it was 7pm and time to go home to catch up another. When the marketing people were out on a call ( hopefully), I did switch on my new LCD tv in my cabin.

My friendly competitor who keeps coming to see me, claims plasma is better. I told him i have that at home. that put to rest the argument of which is better.

Coming to plasma and LCD, trust me it is painful decision to make, whichever you go for,well, actually the decision is taken for you by the salesman and that depends on their margin and what is in ready stock. Neighbor and that wise cousin will claim the other one is better.

My friend from Durban, actually told me recession has hit them so much that people throng to the stadium when the matches are there to escape from NO work.

I luv to see IPL and its popularity when South Africa is back to business in full swing. But then, India shoud be back to big time danda pani too.

IPL reminds me of my cricket playing days. The arena is perhaps bit smaller. The game was played between two buildings. Boundries were defined, 20 meters. No sixes, it was known more as sixers' then. In fact, batsman was declared out ( expression then and now is the same of disgust)if the ball is lifted over the boundry. meaning.. jump over the wall of the next building to pick up the ball.

We were more technical than IPL players of today. We all mastered the art of not hitting the window panes which was almost in the gap of 1 meter from first floor to 3rd floor from short midwicket to long on and gully to long off. In the eventuality of any of the players miscued a hit and break the window glass, the problems to follow were aplenty. No games for next 4 days, till one ramu or subbbu braves that aunty who will be furious.

I always wondered why is that the boy of that house is always missing in the very game the window glass of that house gets broken. May be theory of relativity... We used to use simpler words then, plain panvathi.

Matches were played for much bigger stakes... Pride. girls next door, uncles and aunties were our spectators. Disputes were settled by uncles for run outs and LBW. The problems of LBW became so enormous that most of the matches played in Mumbai between the buildings and in gullies decided to do away with LBW.

We played 10 over match, under arm on weekdays and over arm on holidays. Overarm is played more seriously as some office goers in late 20s and mid 30s known for big hitting will be around and teenagers were very keen to impress them. These office goers when they do not fair well, will say the standard,... it has been a long time... you know..I used to think, danda udayana, chup chap reh.

Kya life tha, 4pm School bell will ring, I used to make it home by 4.15pm and our IPL then used to start by 4.40pm. If I had not changed to civil dress and played cricket wearing school uniform, solid thrashing was in order followed by tiffin and bashan.

Modi just stole our script of life during school days.









1 comment:

Hemant Vyas said...

Hi Nat,

Very very true. I could only compliment you that you aptly represented my thoughts in most perfect way.

Keep up the blog and it will change the perspective and thought process too.