Saturday, May 2, 2009

me shivaji rao bhosle boltoi.....

what a movie!! it will be wrong to say this movie is for the maharashtrians. well it is for any indian, any middle class people who have forgotten their values, their self esteem and pride.

i ended up seeing this movie mainly because my daughter, kavita insisted on it.

i actually did my part of promoting the movie by sending sms' to some 50 odd maharastrians known to me.

people actually dont forget their values, it is the price which they pay to hold it dearly.

people do not actually forgo their self esteem, it is the challenge of holding it which makes them falter

the director whoever is one smart alec. he knows well the maharashtrians sense of pride or the lack of it with few. He knows that ghatis as he challenges them, however affluent they are refuse to be anything but middle class. it is a kind of comfort they enjoy being part of a bigger group.

Mahesh manjarekar, just rocked. I believe the director gave him his script and a good bottle of deshi or scotch. Mahesh just went about it naturally. It showed in the movie his intensity with red shot eyes, fluffy with hangover but witty as any drunk would be.

Sachin Khedekar portrayed the typical guy next door excellently and couldn't have done it any better. The rest of the members in his family in the movie just lived their role. I guess nothing needs to be said more.

I believe a movie is great when after several years we remember the cast, their dialogue and every scene etched on to our memory. Sholay is one in my view and this movie another. nobody can forget, chachi or asrani or jagdeep in Sholay, despite their limited role that they had. Similarly, this movie was carried not only by the main cast but also by the sidies.

My rating is 6 stars.

For a change this movie was also presented well and for the first time an english sub title. it went well with madrasi ghati like me, who are 4th generation here in amchi mumbai.

No comments: